May 12, 2013

Quality Journalism Expected

I knew a few months ago that there have been demonstrations to insult (at least I feel so) certain foreigners living in Japan with hate speeches.  The demonstrations are targeting peoples of certain neighbor countries in relation to the recent territorial issues and possibly others.


I don't want to merely blame these people, but I had been proud that Japanese people seemed to be in a rational attitude regardless of a series of unpleasant actions taken in other countries as reported by the Japanese media and thus was disappointed by knowing these emotional demonstrations.

What I'm more concerned about is that Japanese media seemed not to cover these demonstrations very well.  Those media's inactive reporting attitudes for these demonstrations appear to me weird, particularly if I remember their sensitive reactions to demonstrations towards Japan in other countries.


I'm a strong believer that intelligence of the country could be measured by the quality of the journalism in that country.  As such, I always expect Japanese journalists to give us reports from completely neutral points of views.  I understand that there are so many news to be covered and media need to select which ones to report.  But I still think their selections of news should also be made from neutral standpoints, without being controlled by anyone, without becoming highly commercial, without...

I aspire high quality of Japanese media and would be disappointed if the media is factitive.  I would like them to remember the fact that they could not be neutral and not stop Japan going  the wrong direction in World War II.







No comments:

Post a Comment