May 10, 2013

Insincere Appologies

In Japan, there are so many occasions that high profile figures apologize "to the public" when they break scandals.

For example, when an actor did an affair and it's revealed to the public, s/he opens a press conference and apologizes in front of media reporters by saying, "I would like to apologize as I disturbed the public by making an affair."


Why does s/he have to apologize to the public?  The persons s/he has to apologize are ones who were directly hurt by the affair.  The general public usually does not suffer major problems from the affair but just have curiosities about the affairs (I don't know about his/her fans though.).

Such an apology in front of media reporters looks to me just a certain demonstration or ritual, with which s/he asks the media or paparazzi to stop chasing or blaming her/him, rather than a sincere apology to the public.

Other type of the public apology, which I'm very tired of seeing, is one done by corporate executives when their company causes a scandal.


Their line is also corny and mentions their apology "to the public."

I agree that corporate scandal would influence more people than the famous individual's affair and the corporate executives' apology to the public might make a bit more sense.

But I feel some similarities in both apologies in terms of "insincerity," that is, they don't actually feel sorry to the public but apologize anyway to avoid making things worse.

I assume those high profiles understand the public, i.e. normal people, desires to be apologized by high profiles to gloat them.  "You earned more money, got better promoted, or are more successful, than I am, but you got what you deserved!"

This is very ugly emotion but I think it is strongly rooted in the Japanese society.  And I think this sort of people's emotion is known to high profiles and leads them to "act" insincere apologies to the public by using ambiguous phrases, such as "an apology to the public (specifically who?)" and "disturbed (specifically how?)."

Open to your thoughts.


2 comments:

  1. I disagree with your opinions entirely. Its seems more to me like they are the last gracious people left on earth. Even if it is insincere, at least they bother try!
    What's great about Japan is the crowd there is seemingly aware of its consumer power. In the way that (personal example) if something offends me, I refuse to buy into it, they do so too in a larger way involving more people who expect standards, and it makes for a better society that is the right way around, business should pander to consumer not the other way round. People need to realise the real votes for a better or worse society begin individually, if some girls are prepared to live 8 to one house for example thus pleasing the landlord, he will then push his luck, putting rents higher in the hope for more suckers..or maybe he'll just allow floods of immigrants in to force this profitable situation..
    I for one can't bear my western tv junk, why people are still watching the "loud and prouds"and why soap dramas are popular with their petty arguments is beyond me.
    Now, *bows head* Please forgive my cynicism. ;-)
    -G.L.A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I disagree with you. What's the point of an apology if it is insincere? You are supposed to apologies and mean it, if it means nothing (just as it means nothing to those who are not involved) you're better off not saying anything, for at least you are being honest.

      I don't see how faking an apology resolves anything, as still beneath lays the underlined problems caused by the offender. These problems don’t concern the general public. People have no business pushing their way into another's life and shouldn’t expect to be allowed into it just because that person happens to be a public figure. It’s just common curtsey to respect the space of others and allow them to resolves their problems between themselves.

      From what I gather from you, you would rather live in a world where most are disingenuous so as to keep face in the construct we call society. Though this could be a misunderstanding, it is what your words say to me. You see it as a step forward and I see it as a step back. I think these values are askew, why should superficial apologies be praised and encouraged? Shouldn’t honesty be valued over fake remorse?

      It’s clear that the Japanese society, like most others, revolves around conforming and moving as one. I don’t see how this could be desirable, or why you would see this in such a bright light. I see such things as sad, as we shouldn’t think of our selves as pieces to be moulded and shaped in the face of society. Things as small as how and who you apologies to are discrepancies that aid in such an unbalanced way of life. Though that is just my opinion.

      There is no need to apologise for sharing an opinion that doesn't bring harm to others. You are free to do so, just as everyone else.

      Delete