Apr 17, 2013

Shame Culture

It is said that Japanese culture is a "shame culture" (whereas Western cultures are "guilt cultures"), which seems to me very true.

Having said that, I would like you to guess what the machine in the below  picture is for.



OK, time is up.

This is a silencer which is set in a toilet room and covers up our own sounds during "doing our business."  Let's watch how this actually works.

toilet silencer

This is popular particularly among Japanese women.

Before this came out, many people, mostly women, flushed the toilet to deaden bathroom noises. As you might be thinking, yes, it was waste of water and was eco "un"friendly.

I heard that the silencer is Japan's unique and is not used in other countries.

Speaking of bathroom, other thing which I think is coming from our shame culture is the fact that the toilet room in Japan is very closed.


I still remember my shocking experience when I first traveled to the U.S. and used a bathroom in the San Francisco airport as the room was too open for me to concentrate on "big business"!


Japanese very nervous about others' eyes?
Click here to find more Japanese stuff ---> 

No comments:

Post a Comment