Apr 27, 2013

Peace Sign

We, 7 billion of people, are living on this small planet all together and should be always conscious of "peace" among us.  I don't have any objections for that idea, however...

I still don't understand reasons and meaning of the sign for sure which many Japanese make when being taken pictures.  Yes, it is called in Japan a "peace sign" and is now spreading to other Asian countries as I heard.


I remember that the peace sign itself got widespread in Japan in 1970s as either a peace or V (as in victory) sign.  I know there are some discussions regarding the origin of the sign, one of which is that Winston Churchille began to use the sign.


But what I care is not its origin, but why so many Japanese continue to use the peace sign when they are taken pictures.

It is rather interesting that the peace sign seems to be used only when Japanese are taken their pictures, not in other situations.

My curiosity for the peace sign at photography comes from the fact that I am one of minority Japanese who don't use the gesture, although I might have done at much younger ages (hardly remember though).

My wife and daughter also use the sign almost always they are taken pictures.  So, I asked them why they used the sign but was told "Why do you care about it?" and our conversation was unilaterally ended by them...


  • Why are Japanese fond of this sign for so long and seem to continue to use it in the future?
  • Are they not tired of or even ashamed to keep using the same sign?
  • Don't they want to try to make any other sign yourselves?


I know some foreigners assume the reason is due to the Japanese people's nature to follow what other people are doing.  Hmm, I don't feel that's a bingo.

What I'm currently guessing is those people need "something" at photography.

When taken pictures, there are always a few seconds that people need to keep smiling to be better taken.  Japanese generally look serious, which they don't want to be taken in a picture, and thus try to change their faces to smiling ones.  But keeping the smiling faces during a few seconds is a sort of self-torment for many Japanese, and they need "something" to make the torment easier.  Japanese must think the peace sign is the "something" and with the sign they must be psychologically feeling safe and be able to concentrate on their "smiling."

You might still ask, "Well, why does the gesture need to be the peace sign?"

I don't know the answer to your question!  But I can at least say that I once tried to spread the "hang-loose" sign at photography but unfortunately failed it and have never tried since then...


Can you guys keep a wonderful face without the peace sign?  If so, advise how.
Click here to find more Japanese stuff-->


No comments:

Post a Comment